Cooking food is an art that requires certain skills to master it. Master chefs cook multiple things at once. They have years of experience in cooking and they are not known for sharing it. So here are some cooking tips compiled for you that you can follow in everyday cooking. These tips will make you feel confident and you can work smartly in the kitchen. Here are 10 cooking tips everyone should know to become a cooking expert.
10 cooking tips and tricks to know:
1.Peel like a Pro:
This is the first tip of the 10 cooking tips and tricks everyone should know. Handling your vegetables before cooking is of vital importance. Peeling directly affects its nutritional properties. And by any chance, if you get this process wrong, you may lose their sole purpose i.e. nutrition.
While peeling, slicing, or cutting your veggies, and then cooking them may seem a laborious task, but the nutritious value that they return is totally worth the process. Using veggies with gravy or as dry with appropriate spices make a delicacy.
Everyone nowadays demands a perfectly balanced diet, but what is an ideal diet? Is it the one including a lot of dairy products? Or the one in which the use of nuts is at an extreme? Or maybe the one where the use of veggies is abundant.
A basic and simple balanced diet includes a mash-up of all the above-mentioned items. However, vegetables play a vital role. They provide all the nutrition that our body needs for functioning perfectly.
But the main problem starts while peeling or cutting them. We often think that we peel our vegetables in a way that they still remain as nutritious for us as they were in the raw.
So below are some cooking tips mentioned that everyone should know. These tips include the right way of peeling and cutting the vegetables so that you get maximum benefits from them.
Chopping the vegetable more finely results in faster spoiling. In the way, vegetables start to lose their natural colour, their healthy and nutritious benefits, and the moisture that is present in them which keeps them fresh.
So while peeling, try to cut them in bigger pieces. In this way, they can be stored for later. However, some vegetables like the shredded ones must be cooked and consumed straightaway.
Another reminder while cutting or peeling the vegetables is that they must be peeled tightly closed to skin. In this way, the risk of losing nutrients is minimum.
Washing the vegetables before peeling is a very important process. Vegetables are carriers of dirt and many germs that are harmful to health. So, the vegetables must be always washed before the peeling process.
Some vegetables have edible skin. It is full of vitamins and minerals. Identify these veggies and try to consume them with the peel. These include cucumbers, eggplants, etc.
Using a blunt knife while cutting the vegetables may result in a loss of nutrients. So the use of a sharp and straight blade prevents this from happening. It also prevents the softening of the vegetables.
2.Seasoning Improves Flavor:
This is the second tip of the 10 cooking tips everyone should know. Many people think that seasoning is only about adding salt and spices. They only add some during the cooking process and at the end while presenting the food. However, there are multiple other things like yeast and liquid amino acids that can also transform the traditional dish into a magical one.
It is the seasoning that can actually make a dish perfect or breaks it. You add it too much and it floods the dish, too little and you cannot even taste it. Adding the right amount and adding at the right time is what makes a dish perfect. So below are some cooking tips mentioned that must be kept in mind while seasoning the food.
1. Always remember that cold foods require more seasoning. People often complain that they are able to taste hot foods. They miss that touch in cold foods. Freezing the foods often diminishes their flavor and specific aroma. So they must be seasoned snarly.
Now the question arises that how much seasoning they actually need. To keep from flooding it, add some salt before chilling the food. It makes them look great and fresh. Taste the food while serving. If it lacks some taste, add a pinch of salt.
2. Seasoning from a certain height is actually helpful. It makes more coverage and makes you feel like a pro. There are actually some reasons why chefs season their dishes from high above.
Seasoning from the top distributes the seasoning evenly and to every side of the dish, so whichever side you take a bite from will be the same as the centre. You can also adjust the height according to your own consent.
It is simple. You can also try at home and may become a master chef yourself. You just need to take a pinch of whatever spice you are about to season. It may be salt, black pepper, white pepper, etc.
Now go close to the food or plate and start to sprinkle from a certain height. You may choose to sprinkle from the height of 4 inches,8 inches and 12 inches.
You can see that each time you increased the height, the landing of seasoning will eventually increase and it will be distributed more evenly.
3. The use of herbs including oregano, rosemary, and thyme in the early and initial stages of cooking makes the dish aromatic and less herb textured. Whereas some herbs like basil, parsley, and chives are reserved to added in the last. These are among the delicate herbs.
They enhance the flavour and colour of the food. Use the herbs which are available to dry and are the best in the cooking process. They bring the natural flavour back to life. Then there are some fresh herbs, they are simply thrown in a salad.
Sometimes you have to make certain modifications when seasonings wrong. By mistake, if while adding the salt or sugar, the lid opens and all the ingredient just falls into the dish, then it becomes destroyed. So whenever you have made a mistake and added too much salt, spice, or sugar to food.
You can correct it in certain cases. In some cases, the ingredient can be covered up by adding some ingredients from the opposite flavour. Some tips are further mentioned below that you can consult for ideas.
a) If you have added too much sugar, then the food becomes too sweet. You can add some citrus juice or vinegar to overcome the excessive sweetness. You can also go for some cayenne or fresh herb.
b) If you have added too much salt, add some sweetener like lime, sugar, or honey. You can also add some tomatoes or vinegar
c) If your food became too spicy, you just need to add some olive oil, butter, or sour cream.
5. You should brown all your spices together just before grinding to experience a whole new flavor. It will add a certain aroma to your dish. You just need to place them on a pan over low or medium heat and start to swirl them. As soon as the aroma appears, remove the pan from the stove.
3.Knife cutting techniques.
This is the third tip of the 10 cooking tips everyone should know. One of the most essential parts of cooking is how well you know your knife skills. And how well you keep them sharp. There are many benefits of using a sharp knife-like it allows you to work more efficiently and also it is safer to use a sharp knife instead of using a blunt one.
You have to apply a certain amount of pressure on a blunt knife which just increases the chances of a nasty injury. Just having a good sharp knife in itself is not important. It is very important to master the knife skills as well if you want to become a master chef.
You would have seen some videos on Facebook, Instagram of some chefs cutting or dicing onions extremely fast. I will be honest here, yes it takes some skills to master that skills but with practice, you can master it as well. For that, you would need an extremely sharp and long knife and have the knife down at 45-degree angle to chop them fast like a pro.
Its basic sense to have a sharp knife instead of a blunt knife. Blunt knives ruin a pleasant cooking experience into a tough one. You might be thinking of creating a good dish but for that, if blunt knives make your vegetable cutting harder it would be an unpleasant experience. Also, daily usage makes the knife blunter. For that, it’s better to keep the knife sharp once in a while honing it against a blunt stone.
The proper knife:
The sizes of each knife vary in their sizes such as the eight-inch and the four-inch knife. Each knife plays its own role in the kitchen. But the real secret of the proper knife is that it’s not in the equipment itself, its in the hands of those who hold the equipment.
There are some techniques on knife skills that you can master. I will share you some below.
First split, then slice:
The secret of this method is that to first split the vegetable and then slice it. For this place the thumb finger with a firm grip at the end of the knife and the index finger towards the start of the handle. Now glide the knife with a to and fro motion instead of up and down motion of the knife.
The saw motion:
As I said earlier, the saw motion works perfectly instead of up and down because there are some chances that you may encounter if you handle the knife with up and down motion. Also, it’s very important to have a good grip on the vegetable instead of the knife.
Keeping the cut in a uniform pattern:
If you are cutting, whether it may be dicing or slicing, its best to cut in a single pattern for a flow and moving on to the next. What I mean by this is that, you can cut with the vertical motion first and then proceeding to the horizontal cut and vice versa. You can choose whichever suits you best.
The technique which most expert chefs use:
If you see the chefs in a cooking contest or on a tv show, most chefs cut vegetables using a unique cut. This technique is called the claw technique. For this, keep your hands like a claw and apply pressure on the vegetable. After that start slicing the vegetables with the sides of the knife touching the fingers, so that its extremely safe technique to cut the veggies.
The Best Tips for Tricky Produce
Below are some tips for tricky procedures like mincing an onion, garlic, or chopping some herbs.
- To dice an onion perfectly, place onion on a flat surface. Start slicing the onion from its stem keeping the stem intact. Then, slice the onion in half. Place one side of the onion on the cutting board, keep the root side away from the knife that you are holding, now start slicing the onion from stem to the root.
- Do not cut all the way. Just stop while reaching to the root. Treat the second half of the onion in the same way. Finally, make the last slice through the onion and now you have a perfect chopped onion.
- Mincing garlic requires perfection. Start with peeling the garlic. Now using the weight of your knife, crush the garlic by pressing down with the flat side of the knife. You can also slice the garlic. It is totally up to you how you want to cut it.
- While slicing into small rectangular pieces, collect the pile and start chopping it until the garlic is evenly divided into symmetrical pieces. In this way, you can stop it from getting attached and stacked to the mouths of your guests.
- For small dices, you should not go for a zigzag knife, rather you must go for a small, thin, and smooth blade or knife that is sharped enough to cut through. You can use it for tougher vegetables smaller in size.
Following these tips, you can easily dominate the knife skills and become a master chef.
4. Don’t overload the pan
This is the fourth tip of the 10 cooking tips everyone should know. Adding too many ingredients in a single pan result in trapping of heat under the food creating steam. Although the food cooks, the aroma and deliciousness of the crust become crisp rather than soft. It may burn due to excessive heat capturing. So to give every bit of food a clear breathing time along with the heat, just do not overcrowd the pan. To stop the pieces touching with each other, allow the proper circulation of air and heat around them. Doing so, the food will be aromatic while developing certain colours, flavours, and crispiness.
So overloading the pan is a cooking mistake that people make frequently. However, you cannot refrain from making such a mistake always. If you have a smaller pan, then you should cook the food in batches. And in doing so, keep the first portion warm by foiling it or by placing it in the oven at low temperature while you prepare the second batch.
Sometimes, it also depends on what you are planning to cook. You should never overload the pan when you are pan-frying. So you have to look out for each type of food differently. In the examples, the proper skills of using a pan must be followed.
While cooking a large portion of ground beef, proper and sufficient space should be provided in the pan. The beef leaves moisture behind. If the pan is overloaded, this moisture will begin to make steam. So instead of getting that rich brown texture, it becomes soggy and loses all its rich taste. The same can happen while cooking chicken.
While trying to cook the chicken breasts in a frying pan till browning, leave the sides of the pan untouched by the chicken. It will help in proper escaping of moisture so that the chicken does not become soggy. If the heat becomes trapped under the chicken due to overcrowding, the chicken becomes poached. You can use the same method for French fries, fish, and meat.
5. Prepare in Advance-10 cooking tips everyone should know
This is the fifth tip of the 10 cooking tips everyone should know. Preparing a meal from scratch can be a tiresome process sometimes. Working people cannot afford this luxury. They remain busy all day in their work, performing office errands. When they finally reach home, they are so much tired from the long day that they order the food from restaurants.
Their choices include Chinese, Italian, Thai, Indian, or continental food. They can go for fast food chains. But the main thing is that what they are eating cannot be cooked at home. So in order to make something at home, they can choose multiple options.
- One way of cooking food at home is by using a slow cooker. It shortens the time span to cooking. Slow cooker meals are very easy to cook. You can easily go to work after putting some ingredients in the cooker, lowering the temperature, and voila, you come home to a fully cooked meal.
- If you can also go for the freezing option. You can make up to 3 meals simultaneously. So just make the meals, put them in the freezer and when returning from your work, you would have a bunch of meals to choose from. Select one, put it in the oven, and enjoy it.
So if you are busy and have limited time, preparing the meal in advance can reduce your cooking time to half.
6. Blend Better
This is the sixth tip of the 10 cooking tips everyone should know. Blenders are such an important tool to have in a kitchen. I personally use blender to make juices of my liking. Blender blades have different sizes and shape for different purpose. Also they can be used to make smoothies as well. So some tips are mentioned below:
- Larger foods must be divided into smaller pieces before blending
- Always make sure to close the lid before blending.
- If the lid of the blender does not fit, hold it firmly.
- Start processing at the lowest speed. Increase as needed.
- To stop splattering from occurring, keep a towel at hand to cover the lid while blending.
- Keep one-third of the jar empty. So there is room for expansion.
- In case of air bubbles, stop blending for some time. Stir the ingredients and start the process again.
- You can easily make a smooth mixture by adding liquid gradually.
- Sometimes the blender becomes warm due to excessive use. In such a situation, keep the blender cool by turning it off.
- Do not dip the base of the blender in the water. It may cause the risk of an electrical shock. So wipe it with a soft, smooth cloth.
There are many ways to use a blender in making:
Dips and sauces. You can also make salsa, mayonnaise, or dressings. You can make vegetable rice. Blenders are best for making smoothies and frozen desserts. Like ice-cream shakes, frozen drinks and fruit-based treats. You can also make homemade butter by using almond, peanuts, or hazelnuts. You can also use the blender for grinding meat. Making grains is also very easy. You can make breadcrumbs or almond flour.
You can grind spices in no time. Like peppers, cinnamons, etc. Sugar can be powdered in seconds. You can make a batter which helps in making pancakes. There are many benefits of using a blender like you can make super smooth recipes in no time.
You can make almost everything by using a blender ranging from drinks, sauces, and dips to grinding spices. And most importantly, the food remains nutritious and healthy. So keeping in mind all the benefits and precautions, the use of a blender is a cooking tip everyone should know.
7.Nothing better than extra virgin olive oil.
This is the seventh tip of the 10 cooking tips everyone should know. Olive oil is one of the healthiest cooking oil to use. It is extremely healthy. Especially extra virgin olive oil contains healthy fats that are very helpful for your body.
- It retains its qualities while cooking.
- It is loaded with beneficial antioxidants that are excellent choices for cooking.
- Many people believe that it is unsuitable for cooking due to unsaturated fats but it is excellent for using it in using high heating processes.
- Olive oil performs well in both the categories that are essential for cooking oils, i.e. smoke point and oxidative stability.
- Extra virgin olive oil contains such fats that are impenetrable during the heat.
- Olive oil is rich with the presence of Vitamin E that is healthy.
- During excessive heat, olive oil stands out. It does not form harmful compounds.
- The cooking point of extra virgin olive oil lies between 200oC that is most suitable for cooking.
So the increase of extra virgin olive oil in cooking is a healthy act.
8.How to boil the egg perfectly
This is the eighth tip of the 10 cooking tips everyone should know. When it comes to boiling eggs, overcooking is one of the biggest problems many faces. The yolk sometimes turns to green colour and becomes tasteless. So to cook or boil eggs requires perfection.
You can have your eggs in many ways. You may have them scrambled, poached, or cook them into a delicious omelette. So to stop eggs from overcooking, some tips are mentioned below:
If you want easy to peel eggs, you have to start steaming them for about 14 minutes. To do this, pour 3 inches’ water into the boiling pot and insert the basket. Boil the water and place the eggs in the basket and cover them with some lid. After 14 minutes, remove them from the water. The hot stream penetrates the hard shells. So it is now easy to peel the eggs.
Now if you are boiling a batch of eggs with the same process, peeling them will be time-consuming. So keep the boiled eggs in cold water for about 2 minutes. The water makes the shell soft and it can be opened without any struggle.
Hard-boiled eggs can be stored for about 3 days. Place them in a covered container. Store them in the refrigerator.
9. Cook rice flawlessly.
This is the ninth tip of the 10 cooking tips everyone should know. Cooking perfect rice requires certain skills. Everyone wants their rice perfect, fluffy, and soft to the core.
One can find many videos or tutorials, but everyone has burned their rice at least once while cooking. Sometimes we add more water and sometimes the water added is so less that the rice become sticky and form a ball-like structure.
To make perfect rice, you must make sure to know your rice to water ratio. Keeping mind this ratio, you can make all types of rice whether they are white or brown perfectly. So to make perfect rice is a vital skill.
You must know your rice types. Rice is divided into three types based upon their size i.e. short, medium, and long.
So follow this step by step process to make perfect rice.
- Add salt to the boiled water.
- Add rice.
- Stir the pan to separate the rice.
- Cover the pot with a lid.
- Simmer the rice for about 20 minutes.
- Separate the fluffed rice with a fork just before serving.
So say goodbye to undercooked, overcooked, dry, sticky rice.
10. Adding Salad to your diet.
This is the last tip of the 10 cooking tips everyone should know. How do you imagine your perfect salad? Is it the one having properly balanced ingredients. Is it the one having perfect crispy and fresh leaves? A perfect salad includes the right and balanced mixture of all the flavours, the smooth and mouthwatering texture, and all the bright colours. Everyone has different taste and like their salad according to their own choice. Some like their salad a bit creamy while some like the Caesar salad.
So to make a perfect green salad that you can to your side meal, some thoughts and directions are mentioned.
- Always dry your greens.
- The greens should be trimmed down to the size of a normal mouth bite.
- Add tomatoes to your ordinary salad to make it more nutritious.
- Always balance the ingredients. You don’t want to overcrowd your salad by adding too many greens or by using too many tomatoes.
- To keep your salad cool and crisp, use fresh vegetables. You can grow some of them in your own little garden.
Hence these are the 10 cooking tips everyone should know and also this acts as cooking tips for beginners. So keeping in mind all the mentioned tips, you can become a professional in cooking. Let us know which tip you liked the most?