The answer to the question does pizza contains eggs is that pizza usually does not have eggs. The main component of a pizza is the pizza dough. The ingredients used to make pizza dough are processed flour, salt, sugar, vegetable oil, yeast. The majority of the pizza dough usually does not have egg as an ingredient. Most of the pizza dough is vegetarian.
Can Pizza Contain Eggs/Does Pizza Contain Eggs?
Yes, pizza can contain eggs. When eggs are added to the pizza dough, it helps in softening the dough and providing a smooth texture to the dough. This helps to remove the cracks in the bread once the pizza is baked. I personally use eggs in the pizza. Eggs can be added to pizza dough for making pizza. But it’s entirely up to the ones wish and a requirement to have eggs in pizza.
Various Pizza Vendors and egg content in Pizza
Before you make up your mind about whether pizza contains eggs or not, let us see whether various pizza vendors have eggs in their pizza.
Does Domino’s Pizza Contain Egg?
Dominos pizza does not have eggs in their pizza. (Source) They do not add egg as an ingredient in their pizza dough recipe. Almost all of the pizzas offered by dominos are gluten-free, dairy-free(except cheese), vegetarian and vegan.
Pizza hut does not have eggs in their pizza. (Source) Pizza hut does not add eggs as an ingredient in their pizza dough recipe. All of the pizzas offered by pizza hut do not contain eggs as per their official source.
Some of the pizzas offered by Papa John’s contains eggs. (Source) There are three types of doughs prepared by Papa John’s.
- Fresh Dough: This freshly made dough prepared by Papa John’s does not contain eggs. The ingredients used in this dough are not bleached and enriched wheat flour, water, sugar, soybean oil, salt, yeast as per their official ingredient sources.
- Thin Crust: This thin-crust dough prepared by Papa John’s does not contain eggs. The ingredients used in this dough are not bleached wheat flour, malted barley flour, water, soybean oil, yeast, salt, cultured whey, whey, white distilled vinegar, extra virgin olive oil, dextrose, soy lecithin as per their official ingredient sources.
- Gluten-Free Dough: This gluten-free dough prepared by papa John’s contain eggs. Water, Sorghum Flour, Modified Rice Starch, Tapioca Starch, Teff Flour, Egg Whites, Whey Powder, Shortening Flakes (Palm Oil, Natural Butter Flavor, Soy Lecithin), Quinoa Flour, Amaranth Flour, Canola/Olive Oil Blend, Yeast, Sugar, Brown Flax Seed, Salt, Cultured Brown Rice, Xanthan Gum, Natural Flavor as per their official ingredient sources.
Hunt Brothers Pizza
Only one of the pizzas offered by the hunt brothers pizza contains eggs. The rest of the pizzas do not contain eggs. (Source). The Breakfast pizza alone at hunt brothers pizza does contain eggs. Also, all of the pizza offered by the hunt brothers contain soy as an ingredient.
Some of the pizzas offered by Sbarro contain eggs and some pizzas do not contain eggs. (Source).
The below pizzas offered by Sbarro contain eggs as an ingredient and the rest of the pizzas do not contain eggs.
- All the versions of Stromboli pizzas
- Stuffed Sausage and Pepperoni Pizza
- Roman Buffalo Chicken Pizza
All of the pizzas offered from little caesars do not contain eggs. (Source). Apart from the eggs, little caesars pizza contains milk, wheat, and soy as an ingredient in their pizzas. As per their official source, egg whites are being used to soften the dough.
How to know if a pizza contains an egg?
As a best practice, it is better to check the pizza box whether the pizza contains eggs. The pizza box contains small round color at the top right corner of the box. If the color of the circle is green then it is purely vegetarian. Else if the color of the circle is red or dark brown, then it means the pizza is non-vegetarian and it may contain eggs.
Is Pizza Dough Vegan?
The majority of the pizza dough is not vegan since it contains dairy products such as cheese and eggs. However, there is pizza dough that is completely vegan without using cheese and egg as an ingredient. Hence most of the pizza dough is not vegan but vegetarian.
Pizza Dough Ingredients
The main ingredients in a pizza dough are:
- Wholly Processed Flour
- Soy Bean Oil
How many eggs should be added to pizza dough?
- 2 eggs can be added to the pizza dough as an ingredient. Eggs help to improve the texture, reduce the cracks, and softens the pizza base.
- 1 egg can be added if you feel the number of eggs is too much in pizza. Some people do not like to have egg flavor in the pizza and hence the number of eggs to be added to the dough can be limited to 1.
- If you wish the pizza to be truly vegan, no eggs must be added to the pizza dough.
Should Egg Yolks be added to Pizza Dough?
Those who are health conscious and do not want unnecessary fat in their pizza can ignore egg yolks and just add egg whites to the pizza. If you want to retain the same softness of the pizza base and want to get as much protein in pizza, can add more egg whites instead of egg yolks.
When Should you add eggs while preparing pizza dough?
Now that we have known eggs contain pizza, let us see how to make pizza dough using egg. Take a small bowl and put 2 cups of processed flour. Now after adding the flour to the bowl, add 2 teaspoons of olive oil. Now take 3 cups of water and slowly add them dripping to the flour while constantly mixing it.
Now add 1 half tablespoons of salt. You can use either finely powdered rock salt or crushed pink Himalayan salt. I personally use crushed pink Himalayan pink salt in the pizza dough. Now add 1 teaspoon of finely powdered icing sugar and mix all the dough ingredients well.
The eggs should be added only at the end in order to soften the dough. Usually, the pizza dough is tough without an egg ingredient. Now add 2 eggs and mix them well until the dough becomes smooth and shiny.
Finally, add the yeast and mix the dough well and cover the bowl with a thin plastic spread and let the bowl sit for 3 to 4 hours. This helps in the fermentation process of the dough.
Check out this link on how to make Domino’s pizza at home.
Which eggs can be used in Pizza Dough?
Eggs as an ingredient are optional for pizza. If eggs are used in pizza, it is also equally important to know which eggs can be used in pizza dough. Some of the various eggs that can be used in pizza dough are:
- Hen Eggs
- Country Hen Eggs/brown eggs
- Quail Eggs
- Ostrich Eggs
- Duck Eggs
All of the various eggs can provide different flavors and textures to the pizza base. Mostly Hen Eggs are the most widely used eggs in pizza dough.
Pizza can contain eggs or do not contain eggs depending on the requirement and situations. When ordering pizza from outlets it’s best to check if they contain eggs because they may or may not eggs in pizza. While making pizzas at home it’s best to add eggs or not depending on the type of person. If the person is vegetarian it’s best not to add eggs and if the person is non-vegetarian it’s best to add eggs to the pizza.
If you liked this post on does pizza contain eggs, please share this post with your friends and family.
Also, visit our website for more information on food recipes and helpful tips regarding food.