How to perfectly hard boil an egg or how to boil eggs is something everyone has in their minds. Traditional English diets have egg as the staple ingredient in their breakfasts. But is it worth to have it as breakfast?
Not having a good breakfast in the morning and that could lead to bad health is a myth. It is perfectly fine to not have breakfast in the morning as opposed to the popular belief that one should have compulsory breakfast in the morning. With that being said, I would suggest having a light breakfast. Eating good and healthy breakfast decreases the chance of having cardiovascular diseases. Similarly, this applies to cancer as well. Eggs prevent certain types of cancer as well. Source: Wikipedia
A good breakfast helps in controlling the blood pressure and cholesterol level of your body. It helps you in gaining proper glucose content for the body that further helps in maintaining metabolic processes throughout the day. And Start with a french toast and a hard boiled egg.
Health Benefits of Egg:
Eggs are the best source of proteins. Lots and lots of high-quality proteins and all the essentials like a vitamin (D, B6) and minerals like irons and zinc. Egg white contains more protein content than egg yolk. Egg white is enriching with vitamin B2.
The most beneficial thing about egg is that its a super simple food to cook and it takes way less time to cook when compared to other foods. Also the egss are rich in fatty acids and omega-3 both of them which are super healthy for the heart.
- It is a delicate and nutritious diet.
- Eggs are the primary source of good cholesterol.
- They include all the necessary amino acids.
- Eggs are best for eyesight.
- They are an ample meal and can keep you stuffed for long.
- Eggs are enriching with proteins.
- Reduce the risk of cardiovascular diseases.
- Great for losing weight.
- Best for building muscle.
Eggs are one of the ingredients which are used in many dishes. It can be boiled, scrambled or even make a delicious cake with egg as an ingredient.
In some cases, the use of oil is very necessary. But in the case of a boiled egg, it is not recommended to use oil or any sort of frying substance. Modern researches show that the best way to eat your eggs is by boiling them. In boiling an egg, you can have many choices including soft, half/medium, and hard-boiled.
Cooking a perfect hard-boiled egg is not an easy task. That too how to perfectly hard boil an egg is definitely not an easy one. When it comes to boiling eggs, overcooking is one of the biggest problems many faces. The yolk sometimes turns to green colour and becomes tasteless.
So to cook or boil eggs requires perfection. It requires certain skills. There are many techniques and ways to hard boil an egg. Some chefs use a steamer for the job. However, the best practice is to use a cooking pot.
You might ask the question boiling the egg is a simple task right? But most of us end up overcooking or undercooking To address this, I will show you the exact steps below on how to boil eggs.
Step by step instructions on how to perfectly hard boil an egg:
1. Choose Mature eggs:
I am sure the first question you will have in your mind is that what does a mature egg even mean. Also i will tell you the process of choosing a mature egg. Mature Eggs are often easy to peel. That is why choosing a mature large egg is vital. Also it contain more content when compared to other eggs. Mature eggs are easy to spot. They are usually bigger in size when compared to other eggs. The takeaway here is that choose large eggs.
2. Placing eggs in the steel bowl.
It is also important how you place eggs in the bowl. Have a quarter volume of water when compared to the whole bowl. And place gently the eggs one by one. If you drop the eggs fast, it will break. Also, make sure you give sufficient space in between the eggs so that it won’t break while boiling.
3.Boiling the eggs the perfect way:
After you place the eggs gently in the water with sufficient space between them, start to boil the water. It is also important to note that boiling the water should take place only after the eggs are placed in the pan, not the other way around.
Temperature plays an important role while boiling the eggs. The water should not be too hot and not too cold as well. The temperature should be ideal. Over heated water cooks the egg well past the good texture the egg obtains. If taken too soon, the yolk may be undercooked.
4. Placing the eggs in cold water.
You might be thinking at this point, is this step even necessary? But believe me, this step is crucial for getting a good boiled egg and saves you a ton of time. You can do this by undertaking either of the steps. Allow 15 minutes for the eggs to cool either by taking it outside the warm water and letting it cool under the fan or keeping it in water for the entire time. The second method and the faster way is to put the eggs in cold water for two to three minutes. This will help in easier peeling of eggs.
5. Peeling the eggs:
Now after the eggs have been cooled take them out of the water. Now the condition of the eggs would be in a broken form with large and small cracks. Now gently tap the eggs with your thumb gently for the shells to break evenly. Once that is done. apply the force with your middle finger on top of the eggs and apply pressure to peel the egg from top to bottom. Now that we have cooled our egg, peeling the egg is an easy process now.
Common mistakes while boiling the egg :
There are some mistakes that you must avoid while the process of cooking a perfectly boiled egg. You have to overcome these mistakes or else the final product will be not the one you expected. Some of the common mistakes that people make are:
- Guessing the time and not setting the timer. It is one of the most common mistakes that people make during the boiling process. Not setting the timer results in undercooking or even overcooking the eggs.
- In the case of undercooking, the egg yolk is not evenly cooked and the egg remains half or medium boiled. And in the case of overcooking, a grey line appears around the yolk. It rings the egg and you cannot feel the tenderness of the egg.
- Another common mistake is skipping the ice bath. People tend to miss the process of dipping the eggs into cold icy water intentionally. In doing so, they are unable to stop the heating process and end up overcooking the egg. So skipping the process, the eggs shells remain intact and are very hard to peel right off.
How to avoid mistakes while boiling the eggs:
To avoid such mistakes, here are some tips for you:
- Use old eggs for boiling. They are easier to peel. So take out the eggs that have been in the refrigerator for the longest time.
- You can also tap the egg with a wooden spoon or a spatula on all sides. It helps in the peeling process. After this, hold the egg in both hands and start to roll it like a ball. You will start to notice that the shell is now loose enough to peel.
- You can also differentiate a hardboiled egg from a raw one by spinning. Spin the egg on a flat surface. If the egg spins evenly, it is a hardboiled egg. If it wobbles during the spinning process; the egg is raw.
Notes on how to perfectly hard boil an egg:
Below are some notes to be kept in mind during the process.
- While cooking a batch of eggs, you should choose a pan or pot in which all of the eggs can easily fit. A standard pot can easily occupy three eggs with certain space left for the heating process.
- You must increase some minutes to cooking time in case of cooking a batch. 15 minutes is required for cooking a batch of 4 eggs. With each addition 2 eggs, you have to increase the cooking time of 2 minutes.
- For example, if it required 15 minutes to cook 4 eggs previously, then now it will require 17 minutes for cooking 6 eggs. And 19 minutes for 8 eggs. However, these variations of time are for the constant medium heat. You must not increase the heat for reducing cooking time.
- You can store hardboiled eggs for 4 days in the refrigerator. Place them in a covered container. Store them in the refrigerator.
So a single badly hardboiled egg is enough for ruining your breakfast. Following the above-mentioned tips and process, you can have hardboiled eggs for breakfast in no time.
If you loved our post on how to perfectly hard boil an egg, share this link with your friends!!